Tuesday, December 4, 2007

TIME PASSES

Today we spent time at my grandparents helping them out. My mom and/or I go up there a few times a week to make sure they have groceries, meals to eat, clean the house etc. I will admit that sometimes it is wearisome due to the amount of care needed and the glimpse into what the future holds. But today as I was in the kitchen putting away groceries and making dinner for them I was able to watch my grandfather play with my son. We only recently moved back here and in the years that I have been away my grandfather's Alzheimer's has progressed rapidly. Most days though he recognizes me as a good person, someone he can let in the house, he doesn't recognize me as his granddaughter. My son is named after my grandfather, and though he does not remember this or understand it even when told, he absolutely lights up when he sees the baby. Before we can even get out of the car he sees the baby and is trying to talk to him. He spends hours playing on the floor with him, not an easy task due to his health. He is so gentle and happy in their interactions. And my son in turn, enjoys to play with his great-grandfather, rewarding him with shrills and giggles. It is bittersweet to see someone nearing the end of their life and someone whose life has just begun to interact with such enthusiasm. I know that my grandfather's time here is limited, his absence will be grieved. My childhood is scattered with many happy memories of time spent with him. And I can only pray that even as his mind continues to fail the joy he feels when playing with his great-grandson will not fade. I pray that my son will grow to know and love his great-grandfather. And that the joy and fun of their time together will continue to shine brightly in both their eyes.

2 comments:

Adrienne said...

You're going to make me cry - that was beautiful!

Kimberly Scott said...

oh this is lovely. big *sigh* little tear.