Monday, June 2, 2008

HYBRID MOM

The phrase 'working mother' is redundant."
— Jane Sellman

"Being a working mom is not easy. You have to be willing to screw up at every level."
— Jami Gertz

"Working mothers are guinea pigs in a scientific experiment to show that sleep is not necessary to human life."
— Anonymous

That's right, I am now part of a target demographic and politicians are fighting for my vote as a working mother. However, to be honest I think all moms are working moms. To quote my husband after a few hours of watching the little guy alone, "No wonder you are so tired when I get home. Just chasing him around wore me out and we didn't even DO anything!" By do anything he meant laundry, cleaning, cooking, errands etc. all the usual things a mom does everyday. Finally he gets it, what I have been trying to tell him for months. Don't get me wrong my DH helps alot with the baby, with cooking not so much, but baby duty he is pretty reliable. And now I have gone and added to my workload by getting a part-time job. I am what I will refer to as a Hybrid Mom as I work in two different manners but cohesive in the whole picture. Am I crazy? So far I think I might be.

Thankfully, I am blessed to have my own mom watch the little guy. And considering how infatuated with each other they are, my only fear is he won't miss me. And more blessings, my job is really flexible if I need to trade days or come in later or leave early sometimes to accomadate doctor's appointments and such. The work is good too. It is something I am passionate about to begin with and have prior experience doing, youth violence, alcohol, tobacco and drug prevention. So that should make the transition easier, not to mention actually having to use some of the programs, procedures etc that I studied in college but hadn't ever put to use. Finally that student loan debt has a purpose, HA! First lesson learned, prioritize, prioritize, prioritize! This is key. Somethings less important have already been pushed off the table. Also, my beloved To Do lists are gold.

This was an incredibly difficult decision for me, particularly as my greatest fear is to not be a good mother. However, for the time being I am going to give this life as a Hybrid Mom a chance. Praying all the while that my baby still loves me when I get home and I can keep all my balls in the air as they say. Wish me luck! And if any other Hybrid Moms have some advice I would welcome anything you have to offer.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey good luck with being a Hybrid mum.....I am sure you will "rock it"!!. I love the flexability you have with this new job. I am not a mum but would like to offer this bit of advice, don't try and be wonderwoman or supermum, your son will love you regardless. You have already identified one of the key tools which is to prioritize and make sure you book in some "me time" within that schedule because you need to build in some of that to refill your tank.

Penny said...

I'm a list maker too and it certainly helps my sanity! All the best with the hybrid mum role... I am hoping to do something like that soon. Just gotta find the right job.