Monday, June 9, 2008

ODE TO A FRIEND

I was inspired by Superhero Journal to write an ode to a friend. I would love for this to be elegant and articulate but as that is not my gift it will just have to be true. From all apparent looks and reason our friendship does not make sense. We seem to be opposites in just about every way. She is well-traveled, ambitious, professional and cultured. The only foreign country I have been to is Canada and I would rather wear jeans and flip-flops than a suit anyday. But for nearly 11 years now we have been friends. More than friends; confidants; supporters and comforters. We met in the dorm freshman year of college and though we have never lived so close since we have never left each other's side. She was the first person I told of my past abuse and the first I shared my sorrow after of my miscarriages. I called her the night I realized I was in love with my future husband and within minutes of the birth of my son. She is always willing to listen to my joys and my woes. We have shared adventures together like our trip to a ranch in Utah and time we thought we were going to a concert in Texas but ended up at Disneyland! But most of all we have shared laughs, millions and millions of laughs. And looking back at over a decade of frienship and loyalty I know that no matter our physical distance we are tied together because she is more than a friend, she has become part of my family.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful ode to your friend, and I think the differences in our friends is something that makes the friendship unique. As both people bring different dimensions to the friendship.

acte gratuit said...

Hi! Just thought I'd stop by and say thanks for commenting on my blog! Come back any time!!!

Penny said...

Good friends are hard to find. :-) And good to have.

Shelly said...

Its wonderful to have a friend like that.